This question has suggested answer(s)

Xbox wont connect to Xfinity Routers

• Level   2

My 360S is two years old, and I have used a cheap Netgear router using Wifi since last week, when I switched to Comcast. I noticed in the past my Xbox wouldnt connect to a friend's router that is the same as my new one. Any other devices can connect over Wifi, like my Ipod. Is there any way to fix this without directly plugging the router into the Xbox?

All Replies
    • Level   5

Does the Xbox recognize that the router is there?  If the router does show up what your saying is you can't connect to the router? Do you get an error code by any chance?

• Level   5

It would help us if you answer these questions:

Modem brand & model number: 
    Router brand & model number: 
    If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
    Things you have tried: 
    Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
    Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT?
    Any Error Codes you encounter: 
    Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? 
    After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
    W:
    X:
    Y:
    Z:
    ID:
    L:
    Q:
    T:
    D:
    S:
    C:

• Level   5

Another thing that comes to mind is maybe your router isn't compatible with your xbox.   It seems that Arris routers (I'm guessing that's what you got) have issues with the xbox.   I suggest going to this page and seeing if your router is compatible.  Xbox LIVE compatible hardware list

• Level   2

This is weird- Something shifted today in our connection, so now our phones work and the Xbox will fully connect. Hopefully this doesnt happen again. Thanks, guys.

• Level   5

BaysideBow6

This is weird- Something shifted today in our connection, so now our phones work and the Xbox will fully connect. Hopefully this doesnt happen again. Thanks, guys.

Well that's good! I'm glad it worked it self out.

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Sometimes when your internet speed drops the MTU that the xbox uses to send all its data can sometimes fall below a certain point causing xbox live failure.  Normally one would have to wait till the internet through their provider gets fixed in order to connect again.  When that doesn't work the best tried and true method would have to be to unplug the router and modem for about 10 minutes and hook everything back up.