Ok I have a computer downstairs that is connected to the modem and works fine. I also have a computer in my room connected wirelessly, that works fine. I have an ethernet cord running from my computer in my room to my x box. My x box cannot connect to the network. Error message cannot find IP address. I've tried a lot to get it to work. Manually inserting ip, enabling ics, etc. I have 2 icons on my start bar at the bottom right of computers. One is connected the other has a red X over it with no connectivity. The one with the red X is the Local Area Connection and it doesnt seem to effect my computers internet connection. The other night, not sure how I did it, the red X switched from one icon to the other. It was over the wireless connection not the LAC anymore. After that my computer was not able to connect to the internet but my X box was able to connect to the network. I'm guessing both have to have an open connection and be able to connect. I've disabled all firewalls and am running XP. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Patientscorpion if you run though as describe below you it should work. Ensure you are using a crossover cable and not an E-net cable, they do look the same but they are wired differently.
What to do:
1. Install Windows Xp pro and Service Pack 2 with all other updates.
2. Install Ethernet card (if necessary)
3. Install router (if necessary)
4. Plug in crossover cable to ethernet card and to Xbox.
5. go to START>CONNECT TO>SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS (Can also be found in my computer>my network places> view network connections
6. right Click on wireless network connection and click on properties
7. Click on advanced tab
8. Check the box next to " Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" then click OK.
9. Right click on Local Area Connection the click on properties
10. Click on internet protocol (Tcp/Ip) then click on properties
11. Beside IP Address type in: 192.168.0.25
12. Beside Subnet mask type in: 255.255.255.0 (Remember the this IP and Subnet mask are different depending on the brand of the router. This configuration is set for Linksys routers.)
13. Click OK
14. Turn on xbox go into the internet settings and make sure it gets an Ip and subnet mask automatically.