This question has suggested answer(s)

Controller won't sync, help!!

• Level   4

So I went exited to the midnight to get my Xbox One. Got home, set everything up and bam! my controller or Xbox doesn't work right. I see the big black xbox controller on the screen and I turn my controller on but it doesn't sync making it impossible for me to access the menu. It syncs for 5 seconds then disconnects and then syncs again and then it disconnects. Called Microsoft, did some troubleshooting and they don't even know so they told me the experts are going to handle it and come up with a solution and they will call me back in the morning with an answer. 

After all the trouble I decided to plug in the controller using a micro usb cable and it works. Set up my xbox, downloaded update and everything works fine except that if I disconnect the cable, the controller stays on but I can't do anything with it since its not being recognise. I hope its the controller and not the xbox. I'm so sad right now :(

All Replies
    • Level   2

link to the general set up for controller:     support.xbox.com/.../connect-a-wireless-controller

other than that im sure that it came up with the trouble shooting but might be worth asking, is there anything nearby that could be interfering with the controller signal?

• Level   1

I'm having the exact same issue. Controller won't work without being plugged into a micro usb cable.

• Level   1

Same here. Gawd dammit.

• Level   2

Same exact issue here. Won't sync at all unless plugged in via USB. Anyone have a solution?

• Level   1

Hey guys, have you tried to play like at most two feet away from the kinect/console? I've realized that going beyond 3 feet the controller goes badunks. It seems the problem is signal related, it even works with the Kinect turned off. If the controller's close to the console, it seems it works fine. But pull it away, and it goes bananas.

• Level   2

Could be interference, broken IR, but more than likely confined the controller rather than the unit. It'd take a second controller to be sure though.

The 5 second sync issue used to happen to me on the 360, and it turned out to be interference from another controller which was paired to my second unit.

• Level   2

@MrBr0wNi3 - your problem is DEFINITELY interference, as something is clearly 'bleeding over' into the range your console uses. If it were a fault on the controller or console, it likely wouldn't work at all. Could be a phone, another console controller, a wireless repeater.. I really wouldn't know where to start, unfortunately, as so may devices can contribute to this nowadays...

• Level   2

There are so many things that operate in the 2.4Ghz band, I wouldn't be surprised to find that my dog is able to as well. Try the simple things first:

1) shut off all transmitters on electronics.

2) unplug your wireless router.

3) cross fingers.

4) do this again, support.xbox.com/.../connect-a-wireless-controller.

5) if it works, turn everything back on one at a time (starting with your router)

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

• Level   2

support.xbox.com/.../wireless-controller-disconnects, lists i few things that can interfere with the signal (i used to work a lot with radio signals and can list plenty more) and thing with an electronic motor ie fridge freezer, garage door motor or remote. also anything with magnets or electro magnets ie speakers, tvs, home entertainment systems... the list really is endless what it could be but if you check the room and anything nearby you maybe able to pin point the problem... also ensure all the sticks are off the console and controllers (and give a bit of a rub with your thumb to reduce any static charge too)

• Level   2

Also possible there was a bad lot of AAs, so swapping the batts may help. But you likely have the play/charge kit, making that statement useless.

• Level   2

I tried swapping out the batteries and unplugging the console for a couple of minutes. Nothing seems to work. It's a bummer because these are our Day One controllers :/.

• Level   1

@TwinStripeUK that's gonna be hard, I live in a small apartment where my computer, tv and consoles are in the same desk. So whoopie for me :(

• Level   2

@MrBr0wNi3 - Bummer... it may not actually be your own kit though, as if you have neighbours above, below or across the hall from you they may have something kicking out some serious juice (The company I work for did a recent survey on their office in London to check for viability of office wireless - they found FOURTEEN different SSIDs operating at 'four-bar' strength or higher, none of which belonged to them).

Are you connecting to the internet using wireless or wired on any of your devices?

• Level   1

Both my friend. The thing that pisses me off is that the PS3 doesn't have any freaking problems. It's crazy. I'm really regretting getting this console.

• Level   2

Ok, I've seen some wireless site surveys from hell, but not FOURTEEN competing SSIDs. WOW!