This question has suggested answer(s)

'Fizzing' Sound Coming From Back Of Console

• Level   8

Hey guys I just got everything hooked up and updated.   The issue I am having is a very odd sound coming from the console it sounds almost like the sound soda makes when you pour it into a cup.  I know that sounds dumb but that is the only way I can describe it.  The retail boxed looked fine so I don't think it was dropped.  Any ideas what is causing this?  I know some sound is probably expected but this doesn't sound by any means normal. 

It seems that it definately is coming from the back of the console where the fans are.  No real clue what it is but i'm guessing the fan is clipping part of the board on the inside or something.  It stopped for a bit then started back up, so I assume it is the fans compensating for the heat.  Are the help lines open yet over at customer service or are they not opening until morning?  I checked the connections numerous times so it is definately not that.  I also rebooted as well and the problem persists. 

Launch console DOA.  Replacement R.I.P. 02/04.  Thanks MS.

All Replies
    • Level   5

Is everything plugged in correctly? Turn off the power source (after shutting console etc. down ofc), then remove power cords etc. Then put everything back in very firmly. I hear a 'fizzy' electric sound from things if they aren't connected properly. I on't know if this is the case here though

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Certainly doesn't sound right - mine is pretty much silent (for all the right reasons, incidentally)! Also, there are no fans at the back of the console - just one big one on top, so you may just have a dry joint on the internal speaker and you're hearing white noise from the interference.

In any case I'd plump for getting the unit replaced now (even though it's hardly major, it's still not right)

• Level   2

hi mike, im not sure on a fix for this just yet but it appears to be the internal speaker making the sound, crops up after the update. sure a fix will come up soon will try to keep you posted :)

• Level   8

I'm going to try and unplug and reset.  The problem started up as soon as it initially powered up, after the update though it still remained.  I will let you guys know if this works and thanks for the responses.

• Level   8

Didn't work unforunately.  I unhooked everything, moved the console more to the center of my tv stand just to rule out an unlevel surface.  But to no avail.  

• Level   8

On hold with support.  So much for playing Day 1.  What is the usual turn around time for Microsoft repairing consoles?

• Level   1

I'm having the same issue. The noise is so loud it's drowning out my tv at points. I'm going to get it replaced. The noise is unbearable at times.

• Level   8

Yes mine is pretty bad.  The long the console is on the worse it seems to get.  I also noticed if I use RB or LB to navigate the menu it increase exceptionally more for a very brief time.  Currently in que to speak to customer support via chat.  Close to an hour now and according to the screen still have an estimated 20 minutes to go.  Thanks for letting us know Bunny.  It sucks you are having this issue though I am kinda relieved to know it is just not me going crazy lol.

• Level   8

FINALLY.  I am connected.  I will post the chat (i think we are allowed right?) once it is over.

• Level   1

so.. any new information on the problem?

• Level   8

Sorry for the delay guys.  Took quite awhile on support chat but I got good news atleast.  The rep is sending a brand new retail console to me in 3 business days.  Just have to put the broken one along with the controller, ac power, etc and send it back to MS.  Gotta say I am impressed they did this.  I was thinking they would just send a coffin and I would have to wait for 2-3 weeks for repairs but that was not the case today.  I had to give them my CC # to have a hold put on it just incase I kept the replacement and the original and that was understandable.  Glad it got worked out, the wait was worth it.  Thanks Microsoft!  I hope you guys have better luck, but atleast my problem was worked out.  :)

• Level   8

Forgot to add, the rep never did tell me what he/she thought the problem would be they just started working on getting me a brand new retail Xbox One sent out.  Ran into some problems setting it up since I didn't have a CC of my own but my friend came over and helped me out with that.  So if any of you are having problems definately ring up support, they seem to be really helping people out.  Definately helped me.  

• Level   1

Wonderful thread folks, just got mine as well - the noise out of my console is the fan, a grinding noise - I knew something was wrong when it was louder than my 360 as well as the unanimous reviews stating how "whisper" quiet it should be.

• Level   1

Did your noise sound like interference and did it still make it when you turned your xbox off?

• Level   1

If it's the fan making the noise, you need to get it repaired, because the fan will fail and overheat the box. If it's the speaker, you can try getting the box replaced, or try a wall outlet in a different room (difference electrical circuit) of the house to eliminate electrical noise or some kind of ground loop. It still shouldn't be happening, but at least might give us more information.