This question is answered

How do you control Xbox One with a Universal Remote?

• Level   2

I've seen a number of articles stating that it is "easy" to setup a Universal remote with Xbox One, but I have found no information anywhere how to do this. An article from CNet here (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-57613247-222/xbox-one-20-things-you-need-to-know/) states the following:

10. The Xbox One works with universal remotes 
Unlike the PS4, which lacks an IR port, the Xbox One can be controlled with a compatible universal remote. That's nice for DVD or Blu-ray playback, for folks who don't want to use the Xbox controller or Kinect voice commands.

I've tried setting my remote as a Windows Media Center remote, and as a 360 media remote, but none of the controls are working with the Xbox One. There is also a MS help page here (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/live-tv/using-universal-remotes#d3eef5940fdc4646841a010229ec04d8), but it provides no help. Has anyone done this yet? Logitech Harmony remotes are supposed to have day one support...but I am not using a logitech remote. I just want the IR codes, or the type of remote it should emulate (media center remote, etc). 

Verified Answer
  • hi i'm using the 360 harmony remote, and i setup the xbox one and it works beautiful.  the only issue is when first turning on the console, the command that the remote sends out isnt recognized by the console, so i put an additional "power toggle" command at the end of command strings.

All Replies
    • Level   4

Just a thought, but have you tried to check out the website for your remote? The website being the manufacturer of your remote :)

For those with a Logitech Harmony remote, go to www.myharmony.com and upgrade the firmware on your remote. You'll then have the ability to program it for the Xbox One.

To figure the cost of living, take your salary and add 10%...

XBOX ONE DAY ONE EDITION

• Level   1

You need a universal remote which has the codes specifically for Xbox One. So far only Logitech Harmony remotes do.

• hi i'm using the 360 harmony remote, and i setup the xbox one and it works beautiful.  the only issue is when first turning on the console, the command that the remote sends out isnt recognized by the console, so i put an additional "power toggle" command at the end of command strings.

• Level   2

My remote is an off-brand one with little active support. But the software for the remote lets me program specific IR codes for each button. In looking for a guide somewhere that describes the IR codes needed. For the harmony 360 remote, do you have to program anything special? Or just set it as a 360 remote and everything worked automatically?

• Level   2

Ok, I got this working finally. Turns out my remote has 5 different device codes for the 360 media remote, and the 5th one works with the Xbox One. Unfortunately though, it's still pretty clunky. When the TV feed is the focused window, it seems pretty obvious that the generic remote functions (menu up, down, select, channel up, down, etc) would pass-through to the configured set-top box or TV. Nope. They continue to be mapped to the Xbox One menus. Media control buttons like play, pause, stop DO pass through, but not the other obvious functions. Instead, you have to manually change remote functions when you select the TV feed, then manually change them back when you switch back to Xbox mode. Hope they improve all this stuff...Right now it's very difficult to actually use the Xbox One in conjunction with a set-top box, despite MS's best efforts...

• Level   1

I looked high and low as my wife doesn't like using the controller to control movies - I downloaded the smartglass app and it works fantastIc for controlling the blu ray player.