This question has suggested answer(s)

DVD playback issue

• Level   1

Ok so this is kind of weird. I've had the xbox one since launch and I haven't had too many major issues (though lots of minor ones). However, it had occurred to me that I hadn't tried playing a regular DVD yet. I had watched the District 9 Blu-ray a few days ago and had no issues whatsoever with it. So I decided to watch a regular DVD. After watching the movie for about 10 minutes - the picture froze (like the movie was paused). I tried hitting/saying "play" but the xbox said that it couldn't "play" from here.

I went back to the Dash, took out the disc and cleaned it. Put it back in and same issue. Then I thought, hmm, maybe its a bad disc so I picked a different DVD out of my collection and after 10-15 minutes, same issue again.

Now like I said, I've had no problems with Blu-ray and no problems with disc based games. So that leads me to believe it's not the drive/laser as if it was it would happen on blu-rays and games too (I imagine). So I'm thinking it's the blu-ray playback app... or possibly the device in need of a firmware update or something. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar or knows of a "known issue" or fix. And if not - then at least maybe I can make Microsoft aware if they aren't.

Thanks for reading.

oh and I'm in the US with the xbox one plugged into my 1080p led hdtv via hdmi (if any of that matters). Also, I have my tv plugged into the hdmi in port on the xbox and that has worked fine.

All Replies
    • Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

i believe there are two lasers in the xbox.  one for BR, and one for DVD. it might be the dvd laser is bad .

• Level   1

Thanks for the response but can anyone confirm this? Is that fact that there are two separate lasers?

• Level   5

Your not the only one experianceing problems with dvd playback,  however mine is a diffrent type of problem.  My problem is that i can notice when certain scense change on a movie these weird screen tears or part where half the image lags for a split sec during scene changes.   I havent watched a dvd long so im not sure if it would freeze like yours.  Does yours have the problem i have?    IMO it looks like some kinda dvd codec problem.

Camped out at Best Buy (Dec. 17-18th 2005) 5th in line for 18 hours. Got a Premium! Warranty's Are nice!

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

2 lasers wow ! I have to take a screenshot of that, most idiotic answer ever

• Level   5

Um dazzle blu ray players that play dvds do have 2 lasers side by side.  most idiotic anwser ever?  um no.  Blu ray drives that play dvd/bray have this.... h10025.www1.hp.com/.../c01361864.jpg

Camped out at Best Buy (Dec. 17-18th 2005) 5th in line for 18 hours. Got a Premium! Warranty's Are nice!

• Level   1

I'm also getting this issue, but I'm in Australia. Would be nice to get an actual answer to this issue. Can't use any normal DVDs :(

• Level   1

I am also getting this issue.  My setup is similar to that of the original poster.  And I am experiencing pretty much what he indicated happened to him.

• Level   1

For me, it is the other way around. DVD yes, blueray no

• Level   1

Hey  I'm having the same problem with the DVD pausing. What did you guys end up doing?