This question has suggested answer(s)

Cannot get a Teredo IP address

• Level   1

Hi, 

On my xbox360, live chat worked just fine but it does not on my xbox one.

The test connection is successful, but the Test Multiplayer Connection, I get the "Cannot get a Teredo IP address".  I received this error message using 2 different routers. I am currently using an Apple Time Capsule.

I have run through the steps located here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/networking/multiplayer-connection-error-solution

With no luck.

I have the xbox one reserved at a specific IP address and that IP address is set as the default host (DMZ). I unchecked Block incoming IPv6 connections which also allows Teredo Tunnels. I even started adding in port mappings to map external ports to the internal ports on the xbox IP address.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried just about everything. I saw this issue on another forum that is unanswered:

http://www.xboxoneforums.net/forum/7-xbox-one-hardware-accessories/2648-cannot-get-teredo-ip-address.html

Thanks

All Replies
    • Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Does your IP address have to be static? If not I'd drop the static IP and DMZ and try Dynamic. You say you are using a time capsule, who is your ISP and what modem are you using to the capsule? Also I'm guessing you are running WiFi. Try changing the channel to 6 or 11 and run at 2.4ghz not 5. See if any of that helps. If not, get back to me and I'll see what I can muster up out of these brain cells.

Click LIKE if my post was helpful

• Level   1

Hey!

I changed to static and dmz per support suggestions. Dynamic was what it was originally set to and still had the same issue. I'm using a new Motorola router. I'll have to post later on the model. We were using a comcast supposed technicolor wireless router/modem before with the same issue.

I'll try the wifi settings and let you know if they work. Consequently a time capsule on a different ISP with no additional setup works fine. Maybe it is Comcast or the modem.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will let you know.

• Level   5

Yeah, let me know how you get on pal.

• Level   6

The Networking Hardware Information forum has subforums for most routers and gateways.

Apple Time Capsule forum

Technicolor TC8305C forum

Those may have some useful tips.

• Level   1

Hi Nine Eight Nine,

I tried the different 2.4GHz channel and that did not help.

The cable modem is a Motorola SB6141. I checked out the configuration page of that and there was really nothing much to setup on it.

Ice Storm III, I browsed through the Networking Info forum but did not really see anything specific. I was wondering if it was something related to the ISP (Comcast) but I didn't see anything on there about it.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

• Level   5

At this point Calm, because you have no such trouble with another ISP as you stated, I'd say it was something to do with your current ISP. Give them a shout and explain the situation, see what can be done.

• Level   2

FWIW, I have the same ISP (Comcast) and modem (Motorola 6141) and do not have this problem. I doubt the problem lies with either or that Comcast can/will help. My guess is the Time Capsule.

• Level   2

Also, you say you "unchecked Block incoming IPv6 connections." Are you sure there is not a separate "Allow Teredo tunnels" option that needs to be checked as suggested here: forums.xbox.com/.../432732.aspx

• Level   2

Sounds like Apple Airport-based routers such as the Time Capsule have broken IPv6 tunnel implementations (how broken depends on the firmware version of the TC). Perhaps some help here:

thuktun.wordpress.com/.../ipv6-airport-extreme-update-7-6-3-breaks-existing-ipv6-tunnels

www.sixxs.net/.../Apple_Airport

• Level   1

I had this exact problem. My NAT was set to strict. I called my ISP and they set the NAT to Open over the phone. Should be an easy fix.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I had same problem twice 1st time I reset the whole conesole which  fix it but second time all I did was unplug power from back of console wait 20 seconds put back all set hope this works

• Level   5

Yes that was my thinking also Carolina. ISP for some reason is restricting his connection for whatever reason. A phone call to them should be all that's needed.

• Level   2

It is doubtful that Comcast per se is restricting anything causing this issue. NAT and Teredo issues are almost always a result of settings on the equipment on the customer's end (modem and router), unless the ISP is itself NAT'd (Comcast is not). I have the same modem (Moto 6141), and it has no relevant settings and leaves NAT up to the router (in this case, a Time Capsule) as it should. Now, I agree that Comcast may be able to walk you through changing the necessary settings on your router to get things working (which is probably what Carolina's ISP did) or possibly even remote in and do it--especially if it is an ISP-provided router. In the case of the Time Capsule, it is known to be problematic with Teredo, depending on the firmware version of the TC, as described (with suggested fixes) in the links I posted above. Comcast may not be able or willing to help since the TC a) is probably not provided by them, b) has Teredo issues, and c) is somewhat odd (no Web config GUI).

Calm, do you get your service directly from Comcast--i.e. not part of a community apartment, condo, dorm, etc. setup? Do you have a double NAT (one router behind another router) situation by any chance?

• Level   5

If it was a TC problem GZA, Calm, surely would've got the same error when he tried the connection with a different provider. That's my reason in thinking it's an ISP issue and not the hardware.

• Level   2

Calm stated: "Consequently a time capsule on a different ISP with no additional setup works fine." The reference to "a" TC leads me to believe it was not necessarily the same TC he is now using with Comcast.  If it is not, then it may be that the other TC has a different firmware revision that plays better with Teredo and the one he is using now has the flawed version referenced in the links I posted and/or is configured differently.  Regardless, due to the nature of the problem, it is most likely an issue with Calm's router settings. At most Comcast may be able to help walk Calm through configuring it, but it may be that a firmware update/downgrade of the TC is required...