This question is not answered

Using Kinect as a mic in game online

• Level   1

How do I use the kinect as a mic in game (call of duty/Battlefield 4) to chat with other players?

All Replies
    • Level   X

G'day Faithful! If you're using a 3rd party headset, try unplugging it and then use Kinect to chat in-game. Make sure the setting to use Kinect for chat is enabled in your system settings.

Also try using the official Xbox One Chat Headset that came included with the console. This will disable the Kinect chat but if your headset doesn't work either, then it will help us determine where the actual issue lies.

Let us know the results!

Do you have an idea to improve Xbox for everyone? Share it with us at Xbox Feedback!

How to Use the Forums

• Level   1

You aren't understanding his dilemma. He is probably using Turtle Beaches to hear the actual in-game audio (gun shots/explosions/etc.). He wishes to use the Kinect as a microphone (can do it on the Xbox 360) on the Xbox One. With that, he should be able to hear players talking in-game through his Turtle Beach headset (or TV) while using Kinect for chat

• Level   1

Here is a post from another thread that I made that pertains to this problem.  Hope it helps.

As an update the Tritton warheads are now outputting sound,  the issue was turning on stereo in the settings it won't use the DTS surround sound even though they are surround sound headphones.  The chat issue was resolved by turning on the kinect option to use kinect for in game chat and  having the headset plugged into the controller then removing it during the game.  (BTW this only worked with BF4, it didn't work for COD ghosts)  The voice was so faint with the kinect that I plugged my mic back into the controller and left it around my neck.  I spoke through the MS supplied headset but the sound/ other players voices continued to come through the speakers which allowed me to the my trittons.  

Keep in mind the voice quality of the other players was not the greatest and I could barely hear them during the game, but it is an option.  I ended up putting my cellphone ear buds on and playing with them under my trittons and calling my friend on the phone, so our cellphones were our chat option.

Hope this gets resolved, I really miss the crisp voice chat of my headphones and the fact that I could turn it up loud enough to hear other players over the game sound effects.

Hope this helps someone

• Level   X

I understand, Quinto. However unless he's using one of the headsets listed here, then they are not supported and may be affecting the Kinect settings. Try in-game chat with Kinect, without the 3rd party headset. If chat works without the headset plugged in, then we know that the headset is causing the issue.

Do you have an idea to improve Xbox for everyone? Share it with us at Xbox Feedback!

How to Use the Forums

• Level   1

Ok so I figured it out. First you snap party then you inv all to party and you can use it in party but not in game chat. Make sure to turn on party chat. Doing this I'm able to chat with people in my party and use my headset (not using the one that came with it at all) at the same time.

• Level   1

I have been having the same issues.  My kinect has never worked for COD in game chat.  I didn't even realize this was a common issue and that I didn't set it up.  Honestly, I can't tell you if the box is checked in kinect settings or not to use as microphone.

However, now the issue has grown.  I'm over at a friends house and we wanted to play COD.  He has his controller, and we were going to try the thing where the kinect switches profiles for you when you pass the controller.  Couldn't get that to work at all.  Half the time the kinect thought he was me, and the other half it thought I was his guest.  Either way, once you sign in to Xbox Live in the game, it stayed that person every time we passed the controller.  This is when we started noticing that the kinect would not play voice.  Now I know cause we play together that it use to work.  Neither of us have any special headsets.  Just what came in the box.  I went to the forums and sounds like a common issue.  

So why would his game kinect chat yesterday, but now that we are here together it is lost?

• Level   4

Sorry to say, Misses Joust, but the issue is a bit more complex than that. Take my situation - My Tritton Dolby headphones came out the final year before xbox one. These have a completely SEPARATE wire which plugs the mic/volume control box into the bottom of the 360 controller.

Of course, this means that it's impossible to plug the mic in to the XboxOne controller, which is perfectly fine, because this means only audio will be going through the headphones. If the optical cable is the only thing plugged in (for receiving audio, not sending voice) then it wouldn't be possible for an incompatible mic to flummox the kinect settings, since as far as the console is concerned, technically the only thing plugged in is a speaker system to the optical out.

In this regard, the mic on the kinect should work, but simply isn't (or is too quiet to tell if it's working, because no mic icon shows in the Ghosts lobby, which I don't know if that's how it should work....)

Having said that, is it possible that the chat setting actually needs to be turned OFF for in-game voice to work? This is a shot in the dark, but I know on Kinect 1.0 there was a difference between the term "party chat" and "in-game voice." I came across a kinect tutorial that said for in game voice to work on kinect's mic, the chat option had to be turned off. I think it was referring to kinect 1.0, but maybe this setting thing carried over to the new kinect? Maybe the "chat" setting in the X-One's kinect settings means only that, Party Chat, so if you turn it on, it overrides in-game voice?

Not at my Xbox right now to test, but worth a try?

Ask me for help! I'm an Xbox Ambassador!

Follow me on Twitter @Jaymo1978

"Before criticizing someone walk a mile in their shoes. So when you do criticize them you're a mile away and have their shoes."

• Level   1

i use an older set of turtle beach headphones. ..... they work great as the plug into the tv and I get audio and chat just fine. ..... if I go into party chat with friends I can talk to them through the Kinect and they hear me fine and I can still hear them playing through my tv audio that pipes through my turtle beach headset. ...... works like a charm. .....

the issue comes when I try to talk in a lobby in call of duty. ...... the Kinect does NOT register as a microphone even tho it works perfectly in party chat. ...... when I plug in the headset that comes with the Xbox one that headset registers with the game and I can talk just fine but when you plug in the Xbox one headset it stops playing in game chat through the tv and only plays it through the Xbox one headset. ...... the 360 had an option to play chat through both the headset and the tv and if the one had this option there would be no problem as I could just plug in the Xbox one headset and leave it around my neck for a Mic. ...... the way it is now I have to choose to hear game sounds or talk to people. ......

there are 2 solutions

1. get the Kinect to register as a microphone so we can use it for chat like it was intended and not just in party chat because it works PERFECTLY in party chat (best option)

2. add an option to play voice chat through both the headset and tv like you had on the Xbox 360

this issue is in no way related to the third party headset as 1 it does not connect to the Xbox in any way and should not effect it and 2 this issue happens with or without the turtle beaches plugged into the tv

• Level   1

*waits to see if "official support" tries to upsell me a new headset or actually understands the issue this time*

• Level   1

just got off the phone with activision support they say that they programmed call of duty ghosts to require "a dedicated microphone" in order to talk in game lobby

why is the kinect not a "dedicated" microphone when I checked in the options to use it as a microphone for in game chat?

• Level   1

The Xbox One is garbo right now. They should've fixed all this crap before they dropped it. Ridiculous.

• Level   1

Same issue.  I have Turtle Beach XP500.  Great headset but cannot speak to people through the Kinect while playing COD: Ghosts.  Microsoft really needs to fix this.

• Level   4

Hi Muppet! This particular issue is not on MS's side, but rather on Activision's part. They did not program Ghosts to be able to utilize Kinect for in-game voice. You can join a party and speak while playing Ghosts, but can't just jump into a game lobby and have the mic work. A developer actually has to program the game to allow that type of interaction with the mic. As mentioned above, the Activision Reps have said that Ghosts was programmed to "require a dedicated mic." Since Kinect also uses Party Chat and Voice Commands, it is not considered a dedicated mic.

The only solution in this case, to be able to continue using your headphones, would be to use the Chat Adapter.

Ask me for help! I'm an Xbox Ambassador!

Follow me on Twitter @Jaymo1978

"Before criticizing someone walk a mile in their shoes. So when you do criticize them you're a mile away and have their shoes."

• Level   1

Is anyone still having this problem? I am and I record clips and put them to youtube, I was told to hear other players talk on my recordings to talk through the kinect but it doesn't register as a mic in game.

Anyone have any solutions?

• Level   1

We know that some headset dont speak(y cant use their micro) but here we say about kinect's micro that is not working in game chat........can someone help????