This question has suggested answer(s)

Xbox One Live TV OTA Support

• Level   1

I was wondering if I could connect my OTA to the Xbox One and use its TV features.Do you think I will need a digital converter box?

All Replies
    • Level   1

This was originally on the Xbox website as part of their FAQ; however, I cannot find the source for it:  

"Q: Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?  

A: Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available."  

You may want to consider picking up a converter box with an HDMI output like the "iView 3500STB DTV Converter Box" on Amazon.  If the Xbox One does not allow custom channels to be used for the built-in IR blaster, then you would still need to use the converter box's TV remote; however, this would still give you the option to watch Live TV through your Xbox One.  

Wish I could have clarified further, perhaps a support representative can clarify further in the morning.

• Level   1

My apologies for the double posting; however, I did some additional digging and came across this information:

To use the OneGuide with your TV and Xbox One, you need the following:

A cable or satellite set-top box with HDMI output

A connection to Xbox Live to download channel lineup information for the OneGuide

An Xbox Live Gold membership

Source: support.xbox.com/.../set-up-live-tv

Keep in mind that you are still able to use a converter box to watch Live TV through the Xbox One the only thing is that you would not be able to use the OneGuide to change the channels.  So keep your remote nearby for optimal viewing.

• Level   1

ArsTechnica in their review yesterday used a digital over the air tuner with an HDMI output and it worked.  So the support page isn't quite correct.

• Level   X
    • Suggested Answer

OTA will work, but there's a few things to do:

1) You need some type of receiver to carry  the OTA signal to your One's HDMI in port

2) Select "broadcast" from the provider list in setup

3) Recognize that some of the OTA receivers might not work especially well

• Level   1

Thanks guys,I'll dig my converter box out of the closet sooner or later and see if it works.

• Level   1

I'd really like an OTA solution here. I've got a SiliconDust HD Homerun tuner which I've hooked up to a Dell PC with Windows Media Center as my DVR. The PC is connected through the HDMI pass through so I can still control the PC with the Mouse.

I'm wondering if I got an IR receiver for the PC, would it work? (one of the drop-down selections is Dell Media Center PC). And would I then be able to control the WMC through the XB1?

• Level   1

I am using the iview 3500stb as listed above in the thread.  It works exactly like he stated.  I get live TV through my xbox, however I still have to use the remote that it came with to change channels...for now.  Supposedly, a user in another forum contacted iview support and they advised him that they are reaching out to MS to find a solution...Time will tell, lets hope.

• Level   1

I also have the iView 3500, you can simply install the Homeworx 150PVT firmware on the iView 3500 in order to get Kinect to speak with it. You can find the Homeworx firmware V10 here: www.avsforum.com/.../71915

and use these instructions to apply the firmware update: forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php

NOTE: your iView remote will no longer work, as the iView box will only work with the new set of IR codes (that Kinect recognizes) included in the firmware update. Also note, Kinect/Xbox One seems to have issue going to digital channels below 10. It can't go to 5.1 or 4.2, it instead will take you to 51 or 42, however channels like 13.1 work just fine :/

• Level   1

Thanks for the info.  After I install the firmware do I have to put in "mediasonic" as my satellite/cable provider?  And if so, what is the model number of the box?  Will the xbox one controller be able to select channels on the one guide by doing this?  Thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

• Level   1

I tried to go to that link and it wont allow me. I am having the same issue with the iView 3500 also.

• Level   2

here's the Mediasonic HomeWorX HW-150PVR in action with voice commands and OneGuide support:  watch?v=4qt6qqNyJXw

• Level   1

Mine doesn't go below channels 13. it puts in 131 instead of 13-1. and 51 instead of 5-1. What firmware do you have on yours HW150PVR

• Level   1

I got the iview 3500stb with the one guide working properly without messing up the lower channels by installer the firmware for the hw150pvr v14. And since you cannot find the firmware anywhere online, here is the link to it. dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../7816-ATSC-03_20131115_V14_HW-150PVR_zentelDDR_QAM.7z

Install this firmware on your iview 3500stb and it will work properly with the one guide .

• Level   1

You have to unzip it with a program called 7z, google it. Put the v14.bin file on a USB stick and flash away. Works perfect. Turn your non compatible iview into a compatible hw150pvr by mediasonic

• Level   1

So I tried what PATTYMYCAKES suggested using the link he/she provided on dec 13, 2013 at 836pm and while both the flash.bin files loaded to my iview 3500stb just fine and using the homeworx remote settings with my Logitech harmony one worked as well, the xbone will not function any better with it. which is to say, I always get stuck at setup. I have used 5 different hdmi (monster, rocketfish, mediabridge, generic) cables of different ages (all of which work with other devices/tv/monitors/computers) and for some reason I only ever get sound at the setup. where it says something like " wait 12sec until the picture shows" after 1-3sec i'll get sound but never picture. if I just skip the setup then I can just watch tv and control with the remote. this is how the iview worked before flashing to homeworx, now that it's homeworx it's the same deal. Since I also tried running the xbone tv reset as part of getting this hack to work, I further can't seem to get back to the tv and receiver setup to tell the xbone what to turn on and off, where the hell is that again? Running through various troubleshooting pages leads me to believe that the signal isn't good enough as xbox support pages direct me here (support.xbox.com/.../poor-video-performance).

So I am wondering what brand/age/protocol is your hdmi cable PATTYCAKES? and what your homeworx settings are?  

i'm thinking that one of those two might be the problem for me... or maybe i'll just return the iview and get a homeworx since many people report it just works, even though the homeworx reps claim they won't support it's compatibility with xbone (forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php) like iview wants to (I've called iveiw just after Christmas and they told me they are "working on a contract with MS")...