This question has suggested answer(s)

Picture flickers in and out.

• Level   2

Everything seems to be working fine using TV aside from some channels missing and the biggest issue, every channel flickers. My picture switches from the channel to black constantly. What's going on?

My cable provider is Comcast.

All Replies
    • Level   1

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable/dvr box that runs my live tv. The first night I used the XB1 I had the freezing screen/black screen issue so I searched this forum and found the following suggestions helped:

Settings:

1) TV & OneGuide settings; Power settings; leave all the choices unchecked for now.

Troubleshooting; leave Surround sound (BETA) unchecked for now.

2) DIsplay & sound; Digital Audio; HDMI audio; Stereo uncompressed for now

Optical audio; Stereo uncompressed for now

3) Power & startup; Turn Xbox off (if you're having the freezing/black screen issue)

Turn off after; Don't turn off automatically

Power Options; Power mode; Energy-saving for now.

4) Kinect; Troubleshooting; KInect doesn't hear me (I go into this if the Kinect has trouble hearing me with voice commands and start the audio check. If you have a receiver hooked up to the XB1 as I do I have the Optical audio set to DTS Digital Surround and you can hear the difference on your speakers while doing this test. Some say to leave this setting at Stereo uncompressed if you're having problems with the fast forward/rewind function on your dvr.)

In my opinion the XB1 goes into a sleep/hibernation mode and can't connect with the live tv again when you want the XB1 to wake up when you try to make everything work. Whenever I've had the freeze/black screen issue I've gone to the Power & startup section and turned the XBox off completely. When it starts again I've seen the green Xbox screen just like the initial startup. So, I'm keeping the instant on off for now and keeping it in energy mode which kills a lot of the features, but also keeps my live tv on until MS can figure it out.

• Level   2

The flickering (your first comment) is most likely Macrovision Copy Protection. Some, but not all Comcast/Xfinity cable boxes use that copy protection. The symptom is that the picture will flicker on/off about ever half second, continuously, while pretty much everything else is good.

Bad news: There is no 'fix' yet and Comcast is no help as no one on in support has any clue what the 'problem' is. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed with a software update (sometimes this stuff in on a hardware chip - I don't enough able Macrovision to know how it works)

Good news: Not all Comcast cable boxes use Macrovision Copy protection. Maybe your local Comcast office will let you switch out boxes until you get one that works.

I've got one of each. (...of course I have one that will work, but I'd rather have all of them working)

Does the Xbox auto detect your cable box? Is "Scientific Atlanta 8300HD" how the model is shown in Xbox One devices? I ask because I'm trying to get an idea of which cable boxes don't work for this reason (and I'll be able to avoid getting one - grin)

• Level   2

Yeah Xbox auto detects my box. Picks it up pretty quick. As for what it is I have no Idea. I'll have to check. I'll come back with an answer.

• Level   2

EDIT: Now I'm confused. Everything is working fine now. All I did was reconnect my HDMI cable to the Xbox. Not exactly sure what the issue was.

• Level   2

To answer your question, I'm looking in devices right now. Here is what I got:

TV model:

(remote code T1840)

Cable or satellite box model:

Comcast (remote code C1376)

• Level   2

Glad it's working, and thanks for the info. It's hard to separate the flickering into what's copy protection, defects in the cable box, bad connections and other software issues. (my case may actually end up being a defective box after all - not convinced yet though)

• Level   1

I have been having this issue as of late and I do not have cable hooked up. I just reboot xbox and it is ok. Any idea if it is the hdmi cable?

• Level   X

In general, flickering is because of a loose HDMI cable.

Program Manager, Xbox One TV team.

If you are contacting me about Live TV issues, please use the Private Message function on the forums by clicking the envelope below.

• Level   1

I am having the same issues, but it isn't just flickering.  There is tiling, flickering, horizontal banding, and specific channels that just don't tune.  I rebooted the XBOX One and it works for a while, but the issue comes back.  I downgraded the video output from 1080 to 720p and that worked for a day.  The cable connections seem strong and reconnecting/adjusting does not impact the issue.  This was great for the first week, but I am very close to giving up and going back to a cable box to TV connection.  

Cable Box - Motorola QIP6416

Service Provider - Verizon Fios

• Level   X

Hey Strategic Gnat, do you happen to have an AVR or Soundbar in your HDMI chain? We've had a lot of issues with the QIP boxes when they have more than 1 device in between them and the TV due to some HDCP restrictions.

If you are contacting me about Live TV issues, please use the Private Message function on the forums by clicking the envelope below.

• Level   1

I don't.  I am piping the sound out to my surround sound using optical audio.

• Level   X

Can you try power cycling the STB by pulling the power cable while the Xbox One is on? It sounds like it's having some issues negotiating the HDMI connection. With the Xbox One on, that sometimes fixes colorspace or resolution issues, which sound kind of like what you may be seeing.

• Level   1

I power cycled the STB (again), but it did not fix the issue.  ESPN, some local channels, MTV HD and several others have tiling, horizontal banding and just don’t tune in.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Changing the HDMI cable and turning off the Instant On feature has fixed it.  I used the cable that came with the xbox to go from cable box to xbox, then the weak Verizon provided HDMI cable from the xbox to the tv.  That fixed it, but this morning the TV would not work.  I turned the Instant On option under power settings to save energy (or whatever it is) and that has it fixed.....for now

• Level   1

My issue was solved by replacing the supplied HDMI with a cheap one from Best Buy. No issues at all after switch. So HDMI cable may be to blame.